Welcome
Latest Updates
Early History
Acknowledgements
Memories
Bibliography
Map Page
Other Links
Guest Book
John Kinnersley Kirby
Bps Stortford 1939-45
Contact the Author
UPDATES GUEST BOOK MEMORIES MORE PICTURES OTHER LINKS BIBLIOGRAPHY


The town’s voluntary fire brigade formed a celebratory arch when King Edward VII’s car passed through North Street on 31 October 1905.


A former coaching and posting house, the Chequers Hotel was modernised in 1874 and remained in business until 1950.


The Chequer’s long assembly room was often used by Bishop’s Stortford’s Masonic lodge.


Joe Brazier, landlord of the Chequers in the early 1900s, became the subject of a painting by John Kinnersly Kirby R.A. that was later exhibited at the Royal Academy.


The White Horse Inn, pictured in the 1800s, is currently a Pizza Express restaurant.


Long’s ballroom just prior to demolition in the the 1980s.




The band of the Volunteer Rifle Corps stand on parade in North Street, 1868. They later became the first company band of the 1st Herts Volunteer Regiment.


Midland Bank moved from this site at the corner of Water Lane in 1987 to new premises at the corner of Barrett Lane.


LEFT: Dr Robert Wallace had a practice at No 23 North Street until after the Second World War.

RIGHT: Sydney Milbank was joint owner of Speechly and Millbank’s chemist shop.


Boardmans pictured in the early 1980s and, next to it, the White Hart in its original position above the grocers shop.


Staff of Holland and Barrett’s grocery store pictured in the early 1900s.


The Herts and Essex Observer was printed in the basement of their North street premises until 1961.


Hawkes was acquired by Benskins in 1898, but the brewery closed in 1916. The site was then used as a depot by Ind Coope until 1987.


The former entrance and buildings of the brewery in Northgate End. The site is now home to Waitrose supermaket and the local Y.M.C.A.


This early view of Barrett Lane shows buildings that were used by local butcher, Frank Fowler, as a stable and slaughterhouse.

NORTH STREET NORTH STREET - WEST SIDE THE GEORGE HOTEL GHOSTS OF STORTFORD
NORTH STREET - EAST SIDE WATER LANE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH THE MANSE LEATHER INDUSTRY

Website by Chris Ailey: chris@cpa-design.co.uk copyright© Paul Ailey 2004